Lisa Hostetler Brown, J.D., CELA*
Lisa Hostetler Brown is the Managing Attorney of LawyerLisa, LLC. LawyerLisa's focus is to better serve our clients in an easy to understand and accessible manner. Keeping pace with the changing market, timely communication with clients and agents and thoughtful legal advice are the cornerstones of the Firm.
*Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 2007
- Bethany College, B.A., summa cum laude, 2004
- Brain Injury Fundamentals Certificate from the Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists, 2022
- South Carolina Bar- Young Lawyers Division of the South Carolina Bar
- North Carolina Bar
- Lexington County Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys - NAELA
- National Elder Law Foundation - NELF
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Certified Elder Law Attorney*
*Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation, the only organization approved by the American Bar Association to certify elder law attorneys
2019 “Phenom” Honoree, Columbia Regional Business Report
Best of Free Times, Best Law Firm Winner, 2018, 2019, 2020
Best of Free Times, Best Law Firm Runner up, 2017, 2021
Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
Legal Elite of the Midlands, Columbia Business Monthly, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
LLR Certified Continuing Education Instructor
- Licensed Broker with Real Estate Commission
- Habitat for Humanity- Closing Attorney, 2014-2022
- Rotary Club of Five Points, 2008-2023
- South Carolina Bar Convention, Real Estate Section Presenter, 2022
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Guest Lecturer, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Co-presenter of the Real Estate Essentials CLE for the SC Bar, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022
- LawyerLisa Real Estate School, SC LLR Certified Presenter, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Financial Strategies for a Successful Retirement, Presented by BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina, Speaker, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Habitat for Humanity class presenter on real estate and estate planning
- Rotary Club Speaker (various clubs), 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021
Lane Cook, J.D., CFP*
Lane Cook is an Estate Planning Attorney with LawyerLisa, LLC.
*CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Professional
Lane brings a unique perspective to LawyerLisa after years as a Trust Officer in a bank trust department. In this role, Lane was responsible for the day-to-day management of trusts and their assets, so he has witnessed firsthand the traps that await those who lack a well-constructed estate plan. Lane is particularly proud of his efforts administering dozens of Special Needs Trusts and he is keenly aware of the special care required when drafting and administering trusts for the benefit of individuals with special needs.
In addition to his experience with trust administration, Lane possesses a wealth of financial and investment experience and has earned the prestigious CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification. Lane is an honor graduate of Cannon Financial Institute’s Trust School.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2010
- University of South Carolina, B.A. magna cum laude, 2008
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Bar Elder Law Committee
FIRM AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Best of Free Times, Best Law Firm Winner, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Best of Free Times, Best Law Firm Runner up, 2017, 2021
- Habitat for Humanity - Halo Award, 2016
- Irmo Chamber of Commerce "New Business of the Year", 2015
Thomas Hughes, J.D.
Thomas Hughes is an Estate Planning Attorney with LawyerLisa, LLC.
Thomas graduated from Winthrop University and the University of South Carolina School of Law and practiced in Greenwood, South Carolina for a year before joining LawyerLisa. Thomas’s practice is focused on estate planning, probate, and elder law. Thomas is passionate about helping his clients and their family members plan for the uncertainties of the future based on their unique circumstances and goals.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2021
- Winthrop University, B.A., 2018
Daniel Hicks, Of Counsel
Daniel K. Hicks serves as an Of Counsel consultant to LawyerLisa, LLC.
Daniel has 25 years of experience and is a former partner from Ingersoll & Hicks, PLLC and Nexsen Pruet in North Carolina and South Carolina. His principal areas of practice are Estate Planning, Tax, Estate Administration (Probate) and Tax-Exempt Organizations.
Daniel focuses his time primarily as legal counsel with a large nonprofit organization that specializes in gifts of closely-held business interests (S corp, C-corp, LLC, partnerships) to charity and advising families how they can use their business to fund charitable causes. He is the author of dozens of articles, articles and presentations related to estate planning, tax, charitable giving and tax exempt organizations (private foundation, public charities, donor advised funds, sponsoring organizations, etc.)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Bob Jones University, B.A. and M.A.
- South Carolina Bar
- North Carolina Bar
- North Carolina Bar Estate Planning Section’s Continued Legal Education committee
- Estate Planning & Fiduciary Law Section of the North Carolina Bar
- Estate Planning Section of the South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Estate Planning Council and Tax Section
Pursuant to SC Ethics Advisory Opinion 17-02: Click on the hyperlinks above to see information about each designation or accolade, dates of designations, publication or entity, and standards for inclusion. No payment was required for designation or inclusion in listings.